Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
Spent some time behind the wheel of the new BMW X1 and want to share my thoughts. I figure some of you might be interested in this controversial model since it is the first BMW in the US that is based on FWD based platform.

Let me begin by saying that I am a big fan of the old X1, that had a very short life cycle here in the USA (2012-2015). When it was introduced I immediately liked it a lot better than X3. Just like X3 it was based on the 3 series platform, but instead of being a boring cute-ute like the X3, it is a lifted wagon with an aggressive, muscular stance. Back in 2012 a neighbor of mine bought one - with then newly introduced LED angel eyes and roaring twin turbo inline 6, and I absolutely loved the looks of his car. So much so that in 2014 when my daughter needed a new car to replace her totaled Suzuki Grand Vitara, I called my BMW salesman and got an amazing lease deal on an ultimate edition 2015 X1. It is a four cylinder 2.8 xdrive model, but it's got every available option and it is just an amazing value. It is worth mentioning that at the time the X1 was the cheapest available BMW, with lower base price than the cheapest 3 series.

I brought it in for service yesterday and they gave me the new 2016 X1 loaner. I drove a bunch of new BMW loaners lately, including 328xi, 528xi, X4 M40i, X3 2.8i - and with exception for the X4 M40i I did not like any of them. The new 328xi loaners were downright disappointing, as the car completely lost its sporty roots and has driving dynamics of a Camry. Needless to say that I didn't expect much from the new X1. In fact I had a very biased attitude toward it, and pretty much wanted it to be terrible. But I was in for a a pleasant surprise.

On the exterior I really like the dual rear exhaust (old X1 was a single exhaust even on the 35i model) and of course the cool LED headlights. However, to me the overall exterior styling was better on the old X1. The new X1 is larger and more mellow. It looks like a little stylish SUV versus a muscular lifted wagon.

Moving onto interior, it is a lot better than the old model. The materials are not better, but they are better styled and look more up to date. The assembly quality however is a lot better, there are no rattles or wind noise, and the car has a much more upscale overall look and feel. There is quite a bit more interior and cargo room. The seating position is more comfortable. There are finally adequate cupholders! In the old X1 one cup holder is obstructing with handrest and the other one is a silly clip-on. But for a real delight, unlike all other new BMW models, it has a traditional MECHANICAL shifter!!! Not the electronic nonsense that I passionately hate in all other BMWs, but a nicely placed and shaped mechanical shifter that moves straight backwards and forwards without any zig-zag nonsense.

Next is the engine. I have mixed feelings about this. There is now only the 2.8i vs 2.8i and 3.5i options on the outgoing model, but the new 2.8i engine is a LOT more refined than the old one. In the old X1 (and all other 2.8 BMWs I've driven) the 4 cylinder engine is rough and unrefined, producing all sorts of vibrations and harsh, trashy noise. The new one is very nice and smooth - as good as they get for a four cylinder. On the other hand however, the old X1 engine feels a lot more responsive and a lot more powerful. On paper specs the old X1 does have 14hp advantage, but on pavement it feels like a lot more. I guess BMW gave it a less aggressive tune to make it more refined.

But here's the real kicker - handling and driving dynamics. With FWD biased drivetrain I absolutely expected this car to have terrible driving dynamics, especially when even the new 328xi is such a lousy drive - but instead I was very impressed. The car handles highway curves and quick turns very well, and BMW did a great job with electronic steering on this model. The turn in is nice and quick, and the steering is sharper, quicker and more "pointy" than the old X1 with mechanical steering. The steering is tuned so well that on especially quick turns it even feels like it oversteers a bit. If I didn't know the car was FWD biased, there is no way I could tell just by driving it. It has the balance of RWD biased AWD system, and doesn't even have the slightest hint of torque steer no matter how hard I tried to induce it. I guess the FWD bias could become apparent at the limit, but for public roads it has better driving dynamics than most new BMWs.

Overall it is a much better car than it replaced. With an exception of a very few things, it does everything better. But then it's base price is also about $5k higher than the outgoing model and there are many other excellent FWD based SUVs (Lexus NX, Acura RDX) in its price range out there, and without winning any enthusiast points for the traditional BMW drivetrain it is up for some tough competition. So far the new X1 is selling a lot slower than the previous model.
Appreciate 0