evan9203
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxfordTheCat View Post
In case anyone else is in a similar boat:

Managed to find the issue.

I had previously tested the grounds with a length of cable, but on a lark, connected up jumper cables to the earth post in the passenger side, as well as latching on to the hole at the top of the alternator and clamping on the engine near the throttle body:

Car started.

Jacked the car, dropped the underneath shield(s), and found a shredded green earth cable.
Can't seem to find information online about the second earth cable on the block that other model BMWs seem to have, but from a very long visual inspection looking top down, and under the car, it seems that this is the only ground strap on the vehicle.

I've retrofitted an additional ground from by bolting into the hole available on the alternator, and connected it into an existing ground post (small, and painted, curiously) just about the driver's side wheel well. Also replacing the cable in the factory location with another generic ground strap from Amazon, along with a doubled and braided length of copper wire sourced from ground cable from a length of standard home wiring cable I had laying around.

I'll update with pictures in future.

Interesting, as the problem behaves like a typical battery/starter issue, but I didn't get the DME fault codes in my OBD2 program and BMWLogger under after I had replaced them. They are no longer there, and are entirely caused by the failure of the ground strap.

Updated here in the hopes that someone else will not have to go through the wild goose chase that I went on:

When encountering suspected battery issues, or a seeming no crank starter issue - first verify that the grounding is still intact by connecting a jumper cable from the empty hole slot on the top of the alternator (forward of the positive connection), to the earth post / frame on the passenger's side above the wheel well
Did you manage to find a dme relay (k6300) on the e84 X1? I realize you found your problem elsewhere, but did you find a the k6300 on your X1? I'm having trouble locating it too.

Last edited by evan9203; 07-22-2021 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0