View Single Post
      09-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

I thought as my first post I would add to this thread.

As of August 2013 BMW is not making mud flaps for the X1 M-Sport. As such, the only option is to buy the version made for the Sport et al. I just installed, a set on our 2014 M-Sport and it went well enough.

The rear mud flaps have a very near exact fit on the M-Sport as do the other trim options. The only place where fit is slightly different seemed to be at the roll over from vertical to horizontal on the rear trim. One would be hard pressed to see the small 1/32 gap. Had the double stick tape be closer to the edge the gap would probably not be there. One would probably get a similar gap when installing on the other trim version. All hardware was reused with the exception one screw which was needed to secure the felt side mud flap to the undercarriage.

The front mud flaps took a bit more work. The issue is that the M-Sport running board trim has a different profile than the other trim version. As such, the fit is not as good but visually very acceptable, the only noticeable difference is the fit on the horizontal portion of the running board where there is a 1/4" triangle gap. Given that it is underneath you do not see it. I did make one very slight mod and that is trim 1/4" by 1/16" of the mud flap to better match the profile of the trim. There is slight height difference between the running board trim and the wheel trim. Most would not notice it.

When installing the front mud flap I removed the pin from the rivet, installed it then muscled the long pin/rivet into place. This pin/rivet is an odd ball connector. To install it you need a punch, which is inserted into it and pushed into place. Not sure why this connector is used rather than the original which screws in. Once all that was in place I installed the other two screws. My verbiage may not make sense but once one gets the instructions from the dealer it should (the instructions do not come with the kit).

All in all I am please as when I was under the car it was pretty obvious that a lot of road grime gets kicked up. Oh and the flaps can be installed without removing the wheels.

I might try to post a few pictures later (not sure I can as a new member).
Appreciate 1