View Single Post
      03-22-2015, 06:04 AM   #44
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matjen View Post
Wow, great endorsement! I think you may be the only person to actually have owned the 35i on the board and then moved into the 28i with a mild tune.
I mean, they're both making similar power now (the stock 35 and the tuned 28), the 28 is lighter, and has a better transmission...so...I'm not sure what one would expect.

However, if you're willing to tune your car, the obvious comparison should be a tuned 35 vs. a tuned 28. This way, you don't casually ignore primary benefit of buying the 35 in the first place. You can make 80 HP on a tune only, and easy make 400+ with other minor bolt-ons. The performance increase between a tune on an N20 and a tune on an N55 is quite significant.

IMHO, while the N20 handles better with the lighter front end, the difference isn't huge. Not like the 35 doesn't drive very well too. And, seeing as it's not a sports car spending its time being tossed around on back roads or the track, but rather, more of a daily/highway car, I can see many people preferring the car with the big power advantage providing a greater increase in enjoyment vs. a slightly better handling car with a better trans.

That being said, I think the N20 is the X1 to buy unless you prioritize straight line performance. Different strokes for different folks.

My wife insists on fast cars. I guess I'm lucky in that regard.
Appreciate 0