View Single Post
      10-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #22
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Just got back from driving a xDrive35i. Dealership closed at 7:00 (before sunset) so no luck on seeing the xenon lights, however, I will be going out with a neighbor who has xenon (infinity or acura, don't recall) in a couple hours to experience them. He said BMW though are different, not just adaptive but BMW have more light that goes directly to the sides instead of just infront? But for now this is better than nothing.

So my thoughts on xDrive35i, and to compare I drove the xDrive28i about a two weeks ago so it wasn't totally fresh but they didn't have a xDrive28i in stock to compare right then.

I thought the xDrive35i had more growl but /maybe/ only a little more pull from a stop. I was a little surprised the power different didn't appear more through first or second gear. This could be because of three things I think; it's been too long since I did the xDrive28i test drive, the xDrive35i is _rumored_ to not be able to deliver all it's power at low speed, different expectations or the way I was feeling today.

The xDrive35i I did notice had more pull though at freeway speed, 65mph-80mph, but I can't honestly say that I think I'd ever need that extra power over the xDrive28i when on a freeway, afterall, I've been driving a 140hp car for 10 years and have managed just fine. When I need or want the power, it's pulling out of a business, road, or something around the City.

I'd _really_ like to know what the 0-40 times are for the xDrive28i and xDrive35i. If anyone wants to do record their tach and speedo's 0-40 (or 0-70) we could use some video editing software to pull out the exact time to speeds and graph the two cars acceleration times, that could be very revealing...

I thought the xDrive28i had more 'push you back into your seat' feel than the xDrive35i. The xDrive28i had the CA, my wife and myself and the xDrive35i tonight was just the CA and myself to which is interesting. Maybe I was just off tonight but again, I didn't feel as impressed in the xDrive35i under 40mph.

I can say that I like the 8spd trans more, from what I remember. The 6spd feels like any other car, the 8spd I'd also describe as more 'silky' because it switches so often and so smooth that it just seems new and interesting. I had to pay attention to when the xDrive28i was shifting but in the xDrive35i it's much more obvious.

I did like the servotronic steering for the force required around town more, however, I don't recall ever really feeling the road now that I'm thinking about it so I could opt for not getting that as I do like to feel the road more. I was worried before the test drive that it would be very soft on the freeway but it didn't feel too soft for me. I think either steering I could be happy with. If I had to pick the sport person in me would go hydrolic, the 'every day driver' side of me would go servo in a heart beat. I don't know which I'd pick if it were a no cost option but if I went with the xDrive28i I'd pass on it at $250. However I wouldn't pass on it if my wife were to drive the car sometimes but it's really not likely she will.

In the end, sadly though, the xDrive35i didn't win me over in the test drive to going with that model for xenon over the xDrive28i&premium pkg so back to 'what to spend $3k on that I don't care about"..

xDrive35i
con: I'd pay $400 more for an engine that doesn't get as good mpg with,
pro: A very minor pro that I'd have more power that I would probably hardly ever use.
I do like the 323 wheels though

The xDrive28i
cons: Paying for stuff I wouldn't or would rarely use.
Knowing I might opt for leatherette even though coral leather wouldn't cost me more to get
Power Seats - rarely, rarely would be used (BMW CA said it's mainly the up/down motor and about $400 to repair)
Garage door remote - Worthless to me, my home is automated so I use a security fob to open/close the garage so the universal remote is useless for me.
Compass in the mirror - Okay, I actually did not like this, I'd possibly put a sticker over it.
Comfort Access - Again, I have to use a security fob to disarm the house, which I have to have out of my pocket to do. Chances are I'd always stick the key in the ignition anyway because I'd know where the fob is at so when I get home I can disarm the house. Could be a pro if walking to the car with stuff in my hands so I can open the door before trying to get the keys out.
Last con, knowing some of these gadgets could break when compared to non-power seats, and it's only a con if repairs in 10 years are over $500 every couple years. I don't mind minor things but I'd be unhappy if I were paying $1k every year to fix something.

Pro's: Dimmable mirrors - I might like this actually.these.

I do have some questions too that I'm less clear on things after talking to the CA.

The CA said he'd never get leatherette. I mentioned kids, dog, keeping the car for 10+ years and he said the leather on the X1 was harder than say a Z4 and would hold up better?

He also said if the X1 had the cold weather it also has heated sideview mirrors but I can't find this anywhere?

He said the sideview mirrors are not dimming ones?

And does the xDrive28i have the DS (Drive Sport) mode?

Anyway, just rambling about my thoughts and hoping this info helps to get me into the right vehicle.

Thanks everyone.

PS. I told the CA I just wish BMW let you get xenon without the premium package and he said sometimes they do change what options are available based on feedback and they could offer what I want next month or never. I think never is more realistic right? It's not like BMW would offer xenon until 2014, without the premium pckage, right? I think the first year of the 3 series you also had to get the premium package before you could get just the xenon lighting package by itself?

Last edited by edx1; 10-13-2012 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0