mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwagga View Post
I have some interesting feedback.

The BMW dealer (in particular the manager responsible for the dealership fleet) response:
* the 25K km is normal for RF's,
* recommended Bridgestone RF's according to his experience.
* In his private capacity not shy to suggest the option of changing to normal radial tyres with the spare kit. As such suggested Bridgestone or Michelin.
* Rotation of tyres should be done although the owner's manual states that the manufacturer does not recommend rotation.
* One should do a thorough inspection of the tyres on a regular base
* Changing to non-RF's does not affect maintenance plan/guarantee.

Tiger Wheel & Tyre franchise observation/recommendation:
* Rotation of tyres is a must (front to back and vica verca)
AND left/right
This is recommended due to the negative camber of the tyres (which explains the shoulders on the inside being worn badly.
*Also suggested the option of normal radial tyres with the prospect of more mileage.

I have opted for the Michelin Primacy HP and spare tyre option.
Interestingly there is a long waiting list for the X1 spare tyre kit on back order.
Interesting comments by your dealer. I know you guys do a lot of miles in SA so I suppose it's important. Me, I would go for the tyre that gives the best grip and handling. Not saying it's the Pirellis, just saying I am happy with them as a summer tyre.

On the last point, you don't need the BMW kit. It's bloody expensive and all it consists of is a wee electric pump, tyre goo and a valve key. I got the same at the local car spares place for 70% less.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0