View Single Post
      05-16-2016, 10:13 PM   #165
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by och View Post
I had the new X3 loaner several times, and its electronic steering is horrible. Very underwhelming car indeed. Ditto for the new 328 and 528. I also had X4 m40i loaner, which is based on the X3, but its electronic steering is far better tuned and I very much enjoyed the car. In my m235i electronic steering is nothing short of awesome. So with electronic steering its all about how they tune and set it up at the factory, and they did a very good job on the new X1.

Well, I'm still critical of the new X1 as I would much prefer if it was RWD based, offered 6 cylinder engine, and kept that lifted wagon shape vs a cute-ute. It is indeed a chick car, but it's a lot more pleasant to drive than the more expensive X3.
I have a 2016 X3 which I trade in my 2014 X1 on. I don't really notice much difference.in the steering. I think it is more in your mind than anything else. Yeah the old handles better but it is lower to the ground and weighs less.

I would say as much as I hated the X1 I hate it even more now. The cheap plastic, the crappy looks, the car seems like it would fall apart when going over any kind of bump. The terribly uncomfortable seats. The lack of room in the passenger compartment or trunk. The awful audio system sound. The only car I have owned that I truely disliked.

I wouldn't consider the new X1 now as with discounts on the X3 they are about the same price. But I can't imagine it isn't much better than the old one. Sitting one in the dealership it sure seemed a lot better inside and out.
Appreciate 0