View Single Post
      05-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #43
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I am intrigued by the Tesla but from the description and pictures I have seen, I am concerned by the big screen on the side. I like to keep my eyes on the road...hence a HUD is essential to me.

From the pictures, it looks like there is no dash screen at all and I have not seen a reference to a HUD.

Can you tell us what the driving experience is like from inside in terms of seeing speed, speed limit info, gas, oil temp, radio stations, etc.

Thanks.
Like the others have said, no oil temp or oil level is seen... I think in this car those are lifetime fluids

I don’t need to carry an extra quart of BMW Twin Turbo Power 10w60 oil in the trunk

But srsly... you get use to it pretty quickly.

I do wish there was some kind of HUD or even a small LED info bar accross the dash where the air vent is (the vents are actually on either side of that opening... nothing in the middle. If that little strip displayed speed + turn signal then I’d be all set. I’ve heard HUD doesn’t play well with polarized sunglasses as well.

That being said when you are racing along the roads you don’t need the speedometer. Some performance cars just have a small speedometer and a big RPM display like an S2000. Just like in InitialD you drive by how the car feels... I’ve gotten used to it pretty quickly.

The rest of the interface is pretty easy to use
- you can set it to ding everytime you go over the speed limit.... I tried that and it gets annoying fast... but it does update speed limit info where ever you are which is nice. I honestly don’t see myself driving fast in this because I want to save my electric energy for increased range. Plus there is just too much traffic to go fast anyhow.
- entertainment is easy as well. The voice control works very good at controlling the radio or inputting nav desitnations. You can pick radio stations, stream from tune in, or stream from slacker radio, or bluetooth audio. The free slacker radio only picks songs inspired by your first pick however. Iphone bluetooth audion however only lets you choose songs via the iphone itself... there is no onscreen menu... but I just call it out via siri just fine.
- outside visibility from the front is very nice... since there is no dash to get in the way.
Appreciate 0