Bushellj
X1 Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 18d SE

Question X1 E84 Fitting Tow Bar Question - Rear Bumper Removal

Hi Guys,

UPDATE: Tow Bar now fitted - See photos below

I need to fit a European Tow Bar to my 2011 X1 and I had some questions which I was hoping someone who has already fitted a Tow Bar could help me.

I plan to fit the Westfalia Tow Bar - Either the Swan Neck (cheaper) 303393 or the detachable model 303394. I understand the BMW branded Tow Bar is the Westfalia.

Unfortunately all the European Tow Bars require the Rear Bumper to be removed which adds a lot of time to the instal !! It is much easier with the US style Tow Bars which appear to be able to be fitted with the Rear Bumper in place.

The wiring kit from BMW (Part #71602209945) is over £280 here in the UK. Westfalia offer a Wiring Kit (Part #303460300113) available for about £130 but it might have a problem dealing with the Rear Parking Sensors from some of the reports I have read. Anybody got any experience as I don't want to spend the money with BMW if the Westfalia kit is perfectly adequate. Original Equipment wiring tends to just plug in whereas aftermarket tends to requiring splicing into the loom which I hate !!

UPDATE : The BMW wiring harness requires taking wires to several positions behind the dashboard which of course requires a lot of internal trim to be removed !! The Westfalia wiring harness has all its connections in the boot as long as you have the parking sensors fitted as it shares the CAM bus wiring !! So the Westfalia wiring harness is the way to go !!

New the main question - Does anyone have any instructions for removing the rear bumper as I just don't seem to be able to find anything - Video or instructions on any of the normal sites. UPDATE : Now located thanks to d1saster (see below).

Many thanks for your help.

All the best, James

Last edited by Bushellj; 03-16-2016 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: Updated with new information
Appreciate 0