Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can_Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxx1918 View Post
I carry a tire plug kit and a small compressor. I'm imagining you could plug a hole such as that fairly easily with the tire still on the car.
Of course anything is possible but imagine a situation where you're trying to plug a hole in a tire on the traffic side of a busy highway. In the dark. In the rain.

In that kind of situation are you likely going to say to yourself: "good thing I have that plug kit and compressor so I can get under the car and fix this?"
Well, I guess it all depends. I mean....let's say I'm coming back from a trip to the White Mountains of NH. Let's say I'm 100 miles from home and it's a Sunday evening. I'm too far from home to drive on the runflat. Most runflats specify safe usage, without air pressure, as 50 miles with a maximum speed of 50mph. It's a Sunday evening so driving to or getting a tow to the closest BMW dealership does me no good unless I'm willing to sleep in my car until the morning and hope they have a tire when they open on Monday morning.

At least, with the runflat, I can drive the car to the next exit and find a safe lighted area where I can attempt to plug the tire. Seeing as the tire doesn't collapse, plugging it would be pretty straight forward. One or two plugs would have sealed the hole shown in the OP's post. A few minutes on the compressor and I should have a repair that will hold me long enough to get home and perhaps permanently.

You can purchase AAA plus and they will tow you home up to 100 miles. But I think I'd rather plug my tire than ride 100 miles crammed in the cab of a flatbed with my wife, daughter and Jeb, the tow truck driver.
Appreciate 0