View Single Post
      07-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
flguy400
Rep
Drives: X1

I have a 2013 x1 s28i with included run flats.

I was driving on a Saturday evening an hour away from where I live. I had my car pop up a warning light indicating that tire pressure was low on my passenger rear tire. I pulled over at a gas station to check all the tires and compare pressures. All tires were correct pressure except the leaking tire, which had about 30 lbs of pressure. I filled it up to 38 and decided to drive home for the evening since I wouldn't be able to get the tire fixed until Monday.

The next morning I checked the tire pressure. It was down to about 15 so the leak was somewhat slow but still decent. I decided to fill it up to 38 and continue to use the car that day and then take it to the dealership the next day.

The next day, same thing... tire pressure around 20. I filled it up one last time and drove to the dealership. The dealership that I use doesn't do patches, but only does replacements. I had bought the tire warranty anyway so I was happy to have a new tire put on.

I can definitely say for sure that I am sold on run flats. I would not have had the confidence to drive my car home Saturday evening on a leaky tire and then turn around and drive it for 2 more days and back to the dealer which is also an hour away. I knew that if my tire got down to sub 20 psi, I would be ok to be driving on it and that is a great feeling.

I have been in similar situations with cars that do not have run flats and I would be a lot quicker to switch to a donut which requires me to jack up the car and do all the hassle of switching it, and then having to drive under 55 mph on the donut.
Appreciate 0