View Single Post
      08-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #35
tcarr925
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28

X1 hood insulation from bimmerfox

I bought from Bimmerfox the hood insulator. It fits great. It has a lot of padding inside it. The holes all line up. The 2 tabs at the bottom I trimmed just a tiny bit. He includes the plastic rivets and they work easy. I added some Dynamat type sticky butyl rubber tape with foil insulation. Dynamat is expensive but Home Depot in the roofing dept has " U.Band Instant Waterproof Repair Tape". It looks and acts just like the expensive Dynamat. I put the foil backed sticky tape on the big blank areas on the underside of the hood between the braces. PS, if you get the sticky on your scissors, use Mineral spirits to dissolve the goo. But does all this work in reducing noise? Yes. I can lay my ear directly on hood and hear nothing through it. All the engine sounds now come out of the wheel wells now and a bit through the radiator port. But most sound is from underneath or out the wheel wells. You need to buy the one from Bimmer Fox just to see his amazing box he creates to ship this big thing to you safely. My UPS driver even commented how cool the box is. PS, it got here in 5 days.
Appreciate 0