View Single Post
      02-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #35
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
In Europe, the old version of the X1 28i had an inline-6 with 258hp.
Yep, similar to the engine used in the Z4 3.0i (though probably its either an N52 or N53, depending on region). In the US, they have been using the 28i badge to denote the lower power N52 (230hp to 240hp) while the 30i badge is for the higher power (255hp to 265hp) N52. Of course, since the X3 30i and X5 30i have been gone for some time now, only the Z4 still has the 30i designation. I am very curious to see how the 28i and 30i monikers are used going forward. For now anyway, it seems all N20 will have the same or very similar power. It leaves the question open as to whether both the 28i and 30i will be used somewhat arbitrarily depending on model, or if they will just badge them all 28i, or even if they will just badge them all 30i (in the US, I mean).

Quote:
Sure, I added that reminder just in case BMW NA has different plans.
I hear you - you're just waiting for the official word before stating things as fact. It seems to me that we should get word very soon, assuming that the Septmeber X1 date for the US is still a go (there was some talk of even further delay).

And, as SCOTT said in one of his posts both the Z4 and 5 series will get the N20 at that time as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92miami View Post
The Audi 4cyl is cheaper then their 6cyl, yes the BMW 4cyl will be cheaper. Why would anyone buy it if it wasn't.
They aren't talking about the 4 cyl being cheaper than the 6 cylinder it will be sold along side of, they are talking about it's price relative to the outgoing N52 I6 that it will be replacing.
Appreciate 0