View Single Post
      05-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Thanks to everyone for the kind words! Funny that three of us here are former or current TDI SportWagen owners. And yes, the matte wood looks so good, definitely an option I wish more cars had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
Interesting you are the same height as me and my wife just bought a new VW TDI wagon. It has a lot more rear space than the X1. A toddler seat takes up a lot less seat than an infant seat I assume. I have a child coming in a couple of months and the VW is definitely the family car. There is no way I could fit into the seat with an infant seat behind me in the X1. I don't think my wife will fit as she is 5' 8". My biggest fault with the X1 is the tiny amount of rear seat space.
Yes, rear-facing car seats take an absurd amount of space, probably the equivalent of having a 6' 4" person sitting in the seat. I agree it would make the x1 a tight fit for someone 5'9"ish sitting directly in front, but definitely possible, but likely totally impossible for someone over 6'. All the same, I wouldn't say the SportWagen has *a lot* more space in the back, maybe 1.5"-2" more when you combine front and back seat together, which is what really matters here, but yes, 2" can make all the difference when things get tight.

Congrats on the new TDI, it's a bummer VWofA dragged their feet on bringing the MKVII version over, that new platform has a few inches more of back seat room, which makes a big difference. My GLI has the same amount of back seat room as the incoming SportWagen, and it was really night and day compared to our 'old' SportWagen.

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0