View Single Post
      01-26-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
Activ3
clutch-kicker
Rep
Drives: e46 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxx1918 View Post
How do you run it at the strip? Do you pop it over into sport mode, hold the brake and load up the tranny and then just floor it? Just wondering how you got your best run. I've never personally run a car at the strip before.
I've made hundreds of passes in manual cars, but this was my first time with an auto haha.

I had to experiment a bit before I got a solid run. With the JB4 installed, if you're on the footbrake and floor the throttle the car will just do a standing burnout. To prevent this, I tried left foot braking and using the handbrake as well to prevent the tires from spinning, but when I launched like this I ended up with massive wheel spin and a 14.5 et (another issue is that if you get wheel spin and the RPM gets up past 6000rpm it will shift to second and bog the car down).

My best launch was with the footbrake held down, and the throttle just enough so that the car was about to do a burnout, with no handbrake. After lifting off of the brake I would keep that same throttle position until I was moving, and then I would floor it. If you immediately floor it after lifting off of the brake, you'll get one tire fire.

My car also came with the all season tires instead of summer tires... If you have some good rubber I'm sure you could launch it harder. I think I can manage a sub 2 second 60' with better tires.

I ran the car in manual mode with DSC completely off (hold the traction button for 5-10 seconds), and let it shift by itself.