View Single Post
      02-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #75
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Evos can be made into beasts, especially 100% e85 conversions.

But of course, they lack other things that BMW offers. Which really comes back to what I'm saying - a lightly modded X1 offers a completely unique spot in the marketplace.

1. Extremely fast straight line speed
2. Cargo capacity to fit furniture and do home depot runs
3. Ground clearance and AWD for snow, potholes, and curbs
4. Interior quality and handling/steering feel of a BMW
5. Hydraulic steering!

I honestly can't think of another car that offers that in this segment, comparisons to the M3's speed aside. I would be very interested in Mercedes A45 AMG if it would only be sold here in the US. That car looks like a true competitor to the X1 35i M Sport.

I realize you can say "You can't compare a modded car to a non modded one" but how about this - the X1 is so unique (largely due to the n55) that you can't even find a similar car and mod it to be comparable, and certainly not for the dirt cheap price of modding the X1.
Ehh... Evos all have hydraulic steering up through the current models. It is much faster and precise steering than any BMW I have ever driven. Feel is subjective. The Evo felt a lot more sporty and in control than the M3 I have now.

Besides your comment about interior quality and cargo space, there is no comparison. The Evo is a sports car, the X1 is not. Plus you can pick up a brand new GSR for $35K out the door including taxes. Can you do that with a X1 35i M Sport?