View Single Post
      06-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #138
Teleskier
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
Your X1 experience doesn't sound anything like mine, but I have the s28i rear wheel drive. I didn't want the X28i because just more weight and something to go wrong.
It did seem that in the forum here, that the rear wheel folks got much better mileage.

I went for the x-drive given the snow since they don't plow the rural roads to my house as often as the main roads. My former TDI was the lowest clearance car on my road (its only negative, on those rare days) so I would 'plow' more snow than the prior cars had cleared during their path. The X1 no longer drags its under-carriage in the snow (its biggest positive, on those rare days).

I should point out that the new Jetta GLI is also a gasser. I got tired of paying 30% higher for diesel in the US - a cheaper-to-make less-refined fuel - over gasoline. It smacks of oil industry cartel where they factored in the 30% more energy and mileage from gallon of diesel by then charging more for it. It drove me nuts paying more for less, every time at the pump. However I do miss its 800 miles between fillups. The X1 seems to go empty immediately and can't even make it the entire way on one roundtrip (only a ~3xx mile range).

This weekend I installed the roof rack and drove some boxes to Cape Cod... and the highway mileage was only 15mpg... but I'd discount that from all the drag from the roof rack.

It's just that my actual highway 21.5-23.5mpg is a far cry from the 36mpg EPA highway so heavily advertised by BMW when I bought this car. Frustrating. Feels like bait-n-switch. Surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit over these clearly inflated false claims of eco-friendly mileage. Can't see anyone getting 36mpg in this car.... ever.

Last edited by Teleskier; 06-02-2015 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0