View Single Post
      06-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #134
Teleskier
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy400 View Post
If you really think a TDI is a great investment, go look at how many people get rid of their TDI's after their warranty expires. Those vehicles are too risky to hold onto.
As someone who kept my 55mpg 2001 manual Golf TDI until 2014 at nearly 200K miles when I sold it (with that driver still driving it), and it never have needed a single costly repair (replaced one back hatch struct, etc) - I disagree that VW is 'risky'. I also got 12 years and 200K miles from my 1987 VW GTI. I've always had great luck with my VWs - but they have always been manual cars.

I absolutely HATE the auto transmission in my X1 - it is slow with crazy big hesitations when pulling into traffic (swear will cause an accident some day), feels like it slips then pulling out hard, etc.

I recently went to the dealer with a host of flaky complaints about the X1 after only two short 'still new' years:
  1. radio presets being flaky and disappearing, and then coming back, and then disappearing again, repeat. Dealer: "We found nothing wrong"
  2. Car twice refusing to start in cold weather with message "Auto Start/Stop is disabled"??? Dealer: "We found nothing wrong"
  3. After 20K miles, still only get 22.5 mpg despite eco-mode. "Dealer: "We found nothing wrong"

Of course they give me some claptrap that it 'must' be the way I drive.

My experience with driving their loaner car further convinced me that it must have something to do with the X1 Msport. In the loaner 325 sedan, EcoPro actually did what I'd expected - it worked. On that car, EcoPro gives actual info on the display versus my blank screen - such as rating my driving style. I scored 4 out of 5 stars for both acceleration and anticipation, driving it exactly how I do my X1. Except on the 325, the mileage was better than 34mpg.

Same driver, same driving style - radically different results! If that doesn't tick one off....

I recently bought a manual Jetta Autobahn-trim GLI as another car in family. Unfortunately it is not my car. Why do I say unfortunate? Because I have loads more raw FUN driving that car than my X1. I am jealous of how the Jetta GLI drives - it has great road hugging feel, you DRIVE it via a MANUAL so you're actually connected to the drive experience, great throaty engine sound when you step on the gas, and great 32+ mpg mileage to boot - everything that is missing from my X1.

Me as a BMW X1 Msport driver being jealous of driving the VW Jetta GLI is not what one would expect, when the X1 easily cost 30% more. But there it is.
Appreciate 0