View Single Post
      09-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Carbon Fiber Interior?

I've been considering doing something to change the silver plastic pieces inside my X1 to carbon fiber. I know there is the route of having them vinyl wrapped with carbon fiber look vinyl, but that seems to look a bit cheap and does not have the glossy finish that real carbon fiber has.

There are 6 pieces I'm interested in changing:

- the 4 door strips (one on each door)
- center console (the piece that surrounds the shifter and iDrive controls)
- dash (the narrow strip on the passenger side of the dash)

I found a place called DB Carbon that actually sells replacement carbon fiber pieces for the X1, but all 6 of those pieces together goes for around $1800 which seems kind of pricey.

I also found a local place that can do it for me at a lower price, but I would have to remove the panels myself and deliver them, and they would then add the carbon fiber layer over the plastic.

I'm probably the least handy person in the world, plus I have a bad back which makes working on my car myself almost impossible. How easy or hard is it to remove those 6 panels? If I were to bring it to the dealer for them to remove (and later reinstall) for me, how many hours of labor do you suppose it would cost me?

Lastly, can the car be driven without those panels in place? It sounds like it would take a few days for them to be converted, and it is my only vehicle.

My other (and cheaper) option is to go with the brushed aluminum trim that is optional with the M-sport package. I found out I can order all 6 pieces for around $800. Maybe someone who has that trim can comment on how nice it looks? Because right now I think the silver plastic is the only really cheap looking thing on my interior and I would like it to look more upscale.
Appreciate 0