View Single Post
      12-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #50
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I own both a 128i and a small SUV, a Suzuki Grand Vitara (2006). I bought the GV in large part because it was the most practical vehicle I could find to tow my ~2000 lb boat. I could have purchased a pickup but I wanted to be able to haul 4-5 people occassionally too. I also believe that a utility trailer is a better thing to mess up that the bed of a pickup hauling things (I have a small utility trailer too but my BMW would pull it). So my argument for my SUV is I need to pull things and like a SUV for that more than a pickup. A large sedan would probably do it but extra ground clearance is nice on some boat ramps and may make the difference of your interior staying dry or not as you back the boat into the water.

My SUV is my "practical car" so I don't know if I'd pay BMW prices for it's replacement. But I would definitely think about it. I'm getting used to the way BMW does things and I generally like it.

With respect to safety, SUVs tend to be heavy and to sit high. Both are positive for the SUV driver but not so positive for sedan drivers. When I am in my bimmer, I would kind of prefer not to have pickups and SUVs around me. Most collisions involve two vehicles and sedan to SUV, I would rather be in my SUV. The limited data I have seen support that Pickup/SUV drivers tend to have better odds in a sedan to SUV collision.

Jim