View Single Post
      04-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #298
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Yeah, it's frustrating. I've had one shop align the car two years ago. Brought it back last year and suddenly they won't touch it.

There's nothing special about the car at all. Shop guys read something about "needing" to put extra weight in it, or some other "special" tools, and rather than thinking, they just balk at doing it. This is particularly true because the N55 X1 doesn't even have electronic steering. I'm telling the guy over the phone, no, any mention of the module is for the 2.0l. My car has a hydraulic rack and struts up front. Them: Nope, can't do it, sorry.

I'm just doing string alignments myself these days.
Yeah. I called around and explained exactly what you said. Even called BMW. They said that apparently 65kg of weight needs to be placed in the driver's seat, passenger seat, middle of the back seat, some weight in the trunk and also a full tank of gas is required to properly "Balance" the car. I said "What if I don't want you to balance it?" "You'd be wasting your money." "I drive alone 99% of the time. Maybe balance it with 180 lbs in the driver's seat?"

Ended up finding a shop last night who snickered at the balance thing. They were slow and told me to come right in. This is what they ended up coming up with. Looks like they didn't even attempt to adjust the camber (which doesn't seem to far out of spec anyway). Looks like they corrected toe and made a quick $80. I'm ok with that I suppose. Drives straight, no pulling. Tires sound normal. Handles appropriately in corners. I'm happy.

Let me know what you think of these results.

Appreciate 0