View Single Post
      01-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
I'm a little confused by the above. Please be clearer on what series gets what engines and when. I haven't been following the production plans of the 1 series, but I didn't think that there was a new 1 series nor was the hatchback coming to NA.

Thanks.
What he is saying is that the X1 will debut with the new turbo 4 in the higher output "2.8i" guise which is rumored to be around 240-250hp. This should most probably be in September. Then, once the F20 1 series hatchback launches (in Europe - no North American sales are planned, at least not yet) and introduces the lower output "2.5i" turbo 4, that motor too will be added to the X1 lineup as well. Now granted the timetable I'd seen for the F20 is a late 2011 launch so this should follow the US X1 launch very closely.

Remember, BMW is preparing to introduce not one but actually two new turbocharged 4 cylinder engine families. I have seen these referred to as N13 and N20 though I don't know if those names are correct/official. At any rate, it could very well be that the 2.8i is the N20 and the 2.5i is the N13. This would explain the staggered launch, in that these two could very well be different engines altogether. However, this is just my speculation. Perhaps SCOTT can comment, or we'll just have to wait and see.
Appreciate 0