View Single Post
      10-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #32
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
There is quite a bit more to an M car than horsepower. This is why people buy M3s and not tuned 335i's, nor does any M3 owner care that a tuned 335i may be quicker. You are really missing the point.
Actually, you're missing the point. I agree that there's a lot more to a M car than horsepower. I'm just saying that the M sport package x35i already has most of those things. I don't know what your deal is - maybe you're from the UK and haven't seen the American M sport package yet?

Quote:

- extensive use of weight saving components
Yeah, no. Curb weight X5 x50i 5379lbs. Curb weight X5M 5368lbs. So much for your theory.

Quote:
- a real transmission
Really? Because the X5M has a ZF 6 speed auto - and so does the X1 35i M Sport. Fail once again.

Quote:
- limited slip differential (read: M variable diff)
X5M and the X1 both have X drive....lol

Quote:
- reinforced chassis
Link please?

Quote:
- tuning backed by warranty
I'll give you this - so far, your main arguing point for an M car is "warranty." Nice.

Quote:
- larger side bolsters
The X1 M Sport already has sport seats with large, fully inflatable side bolsters.

Quote:
Sounds to me like you have never even driven an M car.
Actually, based on your inaccurate info above, it appears that you've never driven one besides your M3. And you've clearly never driven an M sport SUV. I've driven the e46 and e92 M3's, as well as the 2012 X6M.

And once again, in addition to the above things, the M Sport X1 already has an M suspension, M steering wheel, M wheels, M tires, M bodywork, and M DTC software. I mean, the steering wheel, wheels and tires, side sills, and even the seats can literally bolt right into "real" M models.

Quote:
No idea why you are bothering to compare them.
Because the X1 is a lifted 1 series? You're aware that they are based on the same platform, and that you can even interchange suspension and exhaust parts, right? Hell they even have the same engine.

Quote:
It's a freaking SUV.
So are the X5M and the X6M - "real" M cars according to BMW. This is exactly my point - your beloved days of hardcore M cars are gone forever. So if the only metric you use to define a "real" M car is BMW's badging, than the X1 35i M Sport is pretty damn close. Including the SIX M badges that come on the car stock.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 10-22-2012 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0