View Single Post
      07-13-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Opinions on Auto-Dim/Garage Mirror Retrofit?

Hello my BMW brothers and sisters. Hope everyone is doing good today!

I need everyone's opinion!

Unfortunately i did not allow BMW to twist my arm and sell me a premium package for 3950$, which means i miss out on the interior rear view mirror which includes compass, auto-dim, and garage home-link.

All three of those things in the mirror would be nice, as i now live in a house that has a gate and i could possibly use it at my summer job as well.

BMW is ridiculous to charge nearly 600$ for the mirror with all those things minus the compass. The thing is i have been doing my research and i found a few mirrors on ebay that includes auto-dim and the garage homelink and for as cheap as 200$ some even less. Thats a huge saving i would be making if i go via ebay as opposed to BMW or getbmwparts.

I have searched around and some people have easily retrofitted the mirror in their 3 series, so the question of if it is possible? the answer is yes and it is not terribly taxing neither.

Question is, is it worth it? I dont have too many times i drive at night, and once i start college i wouldn't be using the garage function, at all, until next winter or summer or whenever i go home.

you might be wondering "why would you want those things if you wouldn't be using them that often" well the mirrors i see on ebay are a huge bargain, almost too much to pass on it. I love modding my X1 as it is my hobby and i will keep it until the wheels fall off, so i am just curious to get people's opinions on it?

is these nice necessities worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Appreciate 0