03-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Sure, but my point is, in Aus1 case, it's a whole different ball game.
Contrary to our urban, semi-urban or even country roads, there is no service station for miles, and street lightning is not existent in the middle of the bush.
Trying to repair a flat on the side of the road might become a life or death situation (Passing traffic, thugs, vengeful kangeroos and other wild animals, meteorits, MadMax ... you name it!)

Being able to continue driving a car with a flat tire in these conditions make sense.
Oh I totally agree, I think RFT's are a good thing although they don't seem to be catching on really. The most important thing for me is that you can actually drive with it flat to where you can get help. If the terrain is very bad there is nothing to say you cannot get a second flat and then with non-RFT tyres you are scr3wed.

Two other points to mention. How many older cars actually have a servicable spare? And those wee space savers some cars have give you the same performance and range as a flat RFT anyway.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0