06-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #75
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisalan View Post
4) Suggestion if you finally buy an X1: do not get the paddle shift, this would ruin the steering wheel: it would make the sporty handling part where your two thumbs touch NOT protruding. I'm sorry English is my second lang. In short, selecting the paddle shift will make your steering wheel a normal and dull one like the old days, your thumbs have no place to lessen the pressure. The marketing point on the paddle shift -- as I wanted -- is to boost a little bit of selling price in the future at a small cost ($120). But, don't get fooled by their saying that this is a "sporty wheel", it is not.
While the steering wheel is one of the things I like the least[*] about the X1, my X1's steering wheel with paddle shifters does indeed have thumb rests, perforated leather padding, and is exactly the same as the wheel without the paddles, except for the paddles.
If you want to be able to control the gears, it's a must. I drive in M mode quite a lot, especially in hilly terrain where I can engine brake. I most definitely wo0uldn't want an X1 without them (and did, in fact, turn down my first X1 when it came without the paddles I had ordered. It was worth waiting 8 more weeks for.)
[*] I prefer lighter, smaller and more utilitarian steering wheels without an airbag and fat spokes obstructing half of the instruments, and extending towards the driver instead of away. Even pulled all the way out, it's still too far away for my liking.
Appreciate 0