View Single Post
      03-28-2015, 04:25 AM   #9
YYCADM
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

I would normally change my own oil...my Father was an auto mechanic, and he'd roll over in his grave at the thought of his only son paying someone to change the oil.

That said, I don't have a garage, and our city has a municipal by-law prohibiting oil changes on residential streets; at $500. a pop, it's one of the few by-laws the Police tend to enforce.
I normally pay $115...the "crooks" were trying to convince me that they having a detailed look under the hood and from under the chassis was worth an extra $90. before taxes. Since it was in another Province, the Provincial Sales Tax & GST pushed it close to $225. .... an amount I'd grudgingly pay if they had to lift the motor to change the oil, but they don't.

I strongly suspect their shop rate is more in line with the price I normally get stuck with. The impression I had was that they saw a 60 year old, dressed nicely ( I'd been to a funeral), from out of Province & driving a nice, clean, well-maintained car, and saw me as an opportunity to bolster the shop's beer fund. I've sent an email to the service manager and cc'd the GM; still waiting for a reply and/or explanation.
Appreciate 0