03-02-2016, 02:14 PM   #22
m3_tristan
Be Original.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw_fw View Post
For more in depth info check out this thread: http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160317
There is some clutter in the thread, but overall you can see where PrematureApex, myself, and others compared notes to finally come to a great solution for the X1.

As Apex mentioned above, doing just the springs will cause the car to be underdamped, making it bouncy and allowing it to easily bottom out over bumps at highway speed, so much so I was worried about my head hitting the sunroof. When I did the H&R springs first on my car the Bilsteins were not available yet. The first two weeks everything seemed fine, then things started getting worse and worse as things settled in. It was so bad that if the Bilsteins hadn't fixed the problem I was going to probably trade the car in as it was not right.

Putting on the Bilstein B6 shocks with shortened bumpstops in the front and rear (as described in the linked thread) gave my car the handling & ride that BMW should feel like: firm, crisp, not too hard in the ride. Additionally with the lowering characteristics of the H&R springs it brought the ride height to normal levels shedding that crossover look.
Right now I don't have the money for it, but when I do I'll go ahead and order them.

Until then what do you suggest I do? Someone said something about trimmed bump stops?
Appreciate 0