04-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #34
OmegaMan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M6 V10 Manual

Tire vs. Car And Their Symphony of Interaction

Quote:
M Sport suspension that is stiffer than the standard
I think that is the crux of what you are experiencing and not the tire as much. IMHO

As you know the X1 doesn't have a true sport mode that modifies the suspension. The X1's "Sport Mode" occurs when the gear shift is moved to the left which simply downshifts and thereafter shifts at a higher RPM. So your suspension on the M is always in sport.

I have an X1 base model and a M6. I enjoy driving both of them for different reasons, but enjoy the handling and the ride of the X1. Really.

The X1 is the other family car (step daughter drives it mostly) and I take it when I am either skiing or mountain biking or have to drive into Denver to park in tight spots.

After purchasing the car, I ended up replacing the run flats with Goodyear All Season 225/50R17 94H SL Eagle LS2 run flats. No qualms on those tires, but I don't necessarily push them at all times under race conditions.

I have pushed the car though, (when the kids were not in it mind you) and even though the 17's are H rated (the stick of the tire is definitely different) I enjoyed the overall handling of the tires in as much as the handling of the car; from what can be achieved with the tires/car combination.

Now due to my driving my M6 I know what a stiff ride feels under varying circumstances when swapping out the Electronic Dampening Control to different modes. I also put all season's performance tires on the M6, the non run flat Goodyears actually. I believe that Goodyear designed the tires for different types of cars of course, but each tire provides what the car can achieve.

I recommend that you drive a standard X1 with the target run flats/non run flats and see if that brings any insights as to the feel of what you want from the car in terms of roll and other items.

For it may be a car upgrade you seek and not necessarily a tire upgrade.
Appreciate 0