View Single Post
      07-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radari216 View Post
This means allowing the engine oil to reach operating temperature before spooling up the turbos (keep the rpms low), and allowing the turbos to cool down before shutting off the engine by driving gently at low rpm for several miles before reaching the destination.

All that being said, every turbocharged engine shares one thing in common, which is that if it is in service long enough it will eventually need a new turbocharger -- two in the case of some BMW engines." Mark Miller

In simple terms, I take this to mean don't run the car hard right after you leave the garage and don't run it hard on the way back into the garage.
How would one perform those procedures in an urban environment where some of us are only minutes from highways where there is no sufficient time to warm up and cool down. Seems like a waste of gas and defeats the purpose of higher fuel efficiency if you have to ride around the block a few times to cool off the turbos.
Appreciate 0