View Single Post
      06-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #9
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
If you get stuck in a rut, remember you can choose 1st gear through Manual! Auto and Sport take off from 2nd.
Thanks, Mancim!

That's exactly for what I used manual this winter in Russia. It did not help. "Thanks" to the missing differential locking. I wonder why did BMW not implement locking? VAG did it in their Tiguan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
BMW could however have helped with the Auto gear changes - they hold on to the lower gears for too long on the slightest incline. Which is why I strongly advocate Cyee and Hadron use Manual mode. It takes a bit of getting used to and rather defeats the purpose of an auto, but it improves the consumption and is still nice/relaxing to use. Keep in mind though, that it only auto downshifts at below 1000rpm. Not a problem just an observation.
Yeah, I thought about using manual mode but was just too lazy to start using it because it still makes you be more accurate at driving, makes you to be alert not only to what's going on around but also to what's show on the tachometer because you would now have to shift up and down manually. Still you don't have to use the clutch pedal...

Last edited by Exotic Hadron; 06-22-2011 at 07:22 AM..
Appreciate 0