View Single Post
      06-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Mario, it is precisely because you have the diesel engine, of similar capacity and configuration i.e. 2.0l 4-cyl, that you don't experience this problem. Also note this petrol engine, unlike the X1 diesels, or its VW/Merc/Audi petrol rivals is not turbo-charged or super-charged, or even have direct injection. So it's outdated and left to its own devices. And diesel engines, by design, deliver higher torque or acceleration at low revs, and lower fuel consumption than petrol ones.

I think all of us 18i petrol owners will now admit that this petrol engine is a bit underpowered for the heavy X1. Our sDrive18i weighs around 100kg more than the equivalent 320i (and for some reason BMW chose to give the sDrive18i 5kW less). So greater weight + lower power = greater consumption. And I wouldn't bait anyone at a red light either, not even a small Korean hatch, if I have to be honest.

It's a fact of life which I'm getting used to, as I still do enjoy driving and living with my X1 and will be with me for a long time yet.

BMW could however have helped with the Auto gear changes - they hold on to the lower gears for too long on the slightest incline. Which is why I strongly advocate Cyee and Hadron use Manual mode. It takes a bit of getting used to and rather defeats the purpose of an auto, but it improves the consumption and is still nice/relaxing to use. Keep in mind though, that it only auto downshifts at below 1000rpm. Not a problem just an observation.

Last edited by manicm; 06-22-2011 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 0