View Single Post
      05-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #424
annoyingmouse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 xdrive28i

Why the wheel offset?

One mod I'm considering doing early on when I get my car is wheels spacers, because the wheels look a bit hidden under the fenders, and a wider track looks more aggressive. I'm wondering why BMW made the track so much more narrow than the fenders.

You can tell me all day that spacers are safe if done correctly, but I'm a big fan of trying to understand what people do and why they do it. Before I veto a decision made by an educated engineer, I'd like to know what s\he was thinking when making the decision in the first place.

Examples:

1. Why such a flimsy OE sway bar - A sway bar limits the amount of travel one spring has relative to the one on the other side. This can lead to a jarring or bouncy ride under certain circumstances such as hitting a speed bump caddy cornered.

Oh okay, I can still use an aftermarket sway bar but will need to avoid certain things, or live with pitfalls.

2. Why all season tires - The car is sold throughout the world, and all season tires are meant to be functional in all\most climates.

Well, I don't live in 'all climates' so I'll choose something more appropriate for me.

3. Why have a narrower track when the fenders can accommodate a wider track? - hopefully one of you can fill this in
Appreciate 0