View Single Post
      07-22-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
Can_Car
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28 M-Sport

Installed the Focal IFBMW-S speakers today

On the weekend i picked up the Focal speaker upgrade kit IFBMW-S and I had nothing better to do tonight so I installed it in my X1 which had the hi-fi stereo system.

My limited audio tests so far show that the new speakers have made a considerable improvement, getting better and better than the stock speakers as the volume goes up. I highly recommend this upgrade to anyone who has the hi-fi audio system as it is a relatively straightforward upgrade and delivers good improvement per dollars spent.

Some observations from the installation. First there are some videos on the Internet that show the installation instructions but these are all missing an important step. In my X1 I had to remove the wood trim from each door to get access to two additional screws before the door panel could be removed.

Name:  IMG_1519.jpg
Views: 3625
Size:  263.2 KB

I also took a photo of the stock speaker and the Focal side by side. Notice the huge difference in the magnet size.

Name:  IMG_1520.jpg
Views: 5633
Size:  403.7 KB

The installation took me about 3 hours but I probably lost about an hour trying to figure out why the door panel couldn't be removed before I ended up removing it and the final two screws. The 2nd door took about 1/4 the time as the first.

2015 X1 Valencia Orange, M Sport

Last edited by Can_Car; 07-22-2014 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: edited for clarity
Appreciate 0