View Single Post
      11-22-2017, 07:42 AM   #3
4llr
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2012

It's well documented that timing chain issues affect N20 engine from 2012 to 2014. My SA says he has seen around ~ 10 timing chain issues with the N20. No dead engine yet. So the timing chain issue is probably well under 1% of affected users, considering they service a lot of N20 cars (think all 328 on the road). Still, there's a class action here in Canada about it that was launched not so long ago: http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...651301863.html

As for my X1, I have 2012 with 60k miles. Transmission was changed. It was shifting very hard from 2 to 1, probably a solenoid problem. Could have been fixed by opening it up, but the vehicle was still under warranty and they gave me a whole new transmission (can't complain).

Quote:
Originally Posted by interceptor428 View Post
I have a 2013 x1 with 106000 US miles. I'm the second owner and the previous owner did nothing but highway miles. The vehicle still feels solid and brand new. I'm keeping my eye on the timing chain but so far so good. (my theory is 2012 and earlier had this issue). See if you can get service history with whatever X1 you are looking at to see if there's been any crazy things done to it. You should also check out the "how many miles on your x1" thread to see more input from other x1 owners (including me). good luck!
Appreciate 0