02-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #19
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJackel View Post
I like these comparisons. What has to be remembered is the average American's median income and debt. The BMW/Audi/MB segment are expensive vehicles. The Subaru/Buick/etc "contenders" are not as good, but they are much more affordable.
Yes, an X1 with no options is only "a few thousand" more than a loaded contender. So I get why an Encore or Subaru XV is sitting in more driveways.

That said, in America anyway, there is NO contender for the X1. Here is why:

My new X1 with a dealer backed Dinan warranty has 355hp/400tq and weighs 3900lbs. That gives it the speed of the incoming new AMG GLA that is $20,000 more! Please tell me if you know of another CSUV that can be bought, well equipped, with this power/wt ratio and sub 5 second 0-60 for anywhere near $40,000 (I paid about $44,000 with the Dinan tune).

Yes, I would love the AMG GLA, or a X4M, or a Porsche Macan Turbo...
but all of thes "cars" are well into the $60,000+ catagory.
That puts them at the same price point to me as a X1 is to many Subaru/Buick buyers.
Yes, the 3.5 with a Dinan tune is obviously a different car than my regular stock 2.8. And even my 2.8 is much faster than any of the other vehicles in this segment. It's nice to have a fast car, but that is not the main reason I chose to get a small SUV, and I suspect the same applies to many others who are shopping for one.

For me the main concerns were to have a higher seating position for my bad back, and to have AWD so I can drive during the terrible Northeast winters we sometimes have. After those main concerns are addressed, then of course it is nice to have a good looking car with the right mix of features, and performance comes somewhere after that. For me utility and back seat space is NOT a concern, but for many I think that is also a reason they go with an SUV.

So for the average shopper looking for a small SUV, the X1 can indeed be compared to some of these other cars. The lease on my X1 was about the same as if I had leased a fully loaded Honda CRV and was slightly less than if I had leased a fully loaded Mazda CX5. So those cars can be compared to the X1. Not in terms of 0-60 times, but in terms of the things that are most important to most shoppers.
Appreciate 0