View Single Post
      03-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #69
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

Hi Tele-
I've drifted away from the X1 and the discussion in recent months because of my issues with this powertrain and its supposed whiz bang efficiency which I wasn't buying post test drive. Well my 128 just got its last covered service and I requested far in advance an X1 for a loaner and for once I have no complaints about my service visit and my dirty X1 xdrive 28i was waiting for me (okay 1 minor complaint. I drove this vehicle ~140 miles mostly hwy, mostly like granny (not 55 but 70ish and decelerating up hills, very little passing, etc) and netted right about 25 total. I was able to see 27 and change when I reset and did hwy eco slo mode grannying it back to the dealer so I didn't have to put MORE gas in the thing. Again not calculated mpg, displayed of course...Many chimes on this thread are Sdrivers in warm areas so those numbers aren't particularly relevant to your woes although I'm sure your numbers will improve some with warmer weather on the way. Driven the way I drive my 128 (and consistently get high 20s-30) I think I'd be lucky to see 25 probably more like 22-23 which is piss poor given the EPA numbers, which for the Xdrive 28i are a f*cking scam and NEED TO BE REVISED edit: SLASHED AS THEY ARE COMPLETE RUBBISH! Bottom line: The only way I'd buy this car in its current offering is an X1 35i at a fire sale because you get something for low 20s avg. mpg- PERFORMANCE!- Also think the brakes on the 28i pretty much suck. Its still a good car overall but the N20, for me? not to offend anyone, complete fail. Its just too jekyl and hyde, too reliant on boost and sucks down fuel when driven or with any kind of verve or up any kind of hill- yes the mpg needle read 12 or lower with either of those conditions.

All of that said the car weighs 3725lbs (xdrive) in its most basic form so to expect 30+ hwy while getting to 60 in a few 10ths over 6 pretty much defies even the best modern performance/efficiency numbers for gas combustion engines.

BMW REALLY DROPPED THE BALL BY NOT GIVING US THE HIPO 2L DIESEL IN THIS CAR!

My latest idea: Forester XT that will accept regular but I'd put at least 89 in it, run it for a cpl years, pass it to wifey getting her out of a Pilot we don't need (space wise) and hope to hell my compact CUV or even AWD sedan with 4cyl diesel power arrives, with some competition!

Will I get the quoted 28 hwy in this DI turbo? Probably not but with 23 city EPA I'd expect to see 25+ handily beating what I'd expect in the X135i which is much smaller albeit much quicker/engaging.
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car

Last edited by Monterra; 03-08-2013 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0