View Single Post
      02-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #74
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
If I still had my Evo, I'd see just how fast an X1 is. I'd yet to see any N54/55 modded car beat a tuned Evo.

400hp and 430ft/lbs torque in a 3200 lb car with AWD and launch control with only $500 in mods.
Evos can be made into beasts, especially 100% e85 conversions.

But of course, they lack other things that BMW offers. Which really comes back to what I'm saying - a lightly modded X1 offers a completely unique spot in the marketplace.

1. Extremely fast straight line speed
2. Cargo capacity to fit furniture and do home depot runs
3. Ground clearance and AWD for snow, potholes, and curbs
4. Interior quality and handling/steering feel of a BMW
5. Hydraulic steering!

I honestly can't think of another car that offers that in this segment, comparisons to the M3's speed aside. I would be very interested in Mercedes A45 AMG if it would only be sold here in the US. That car looks like a true competitor to the X1 35i M Sport.

I realize you can say "You can't compare a modded car to a non modded one" but how about this - the X1 is so unique (largely due to the n55 and ground clearance) that you can't even find a similar car and mod it to be comparable, and certainly not for the dirt cheap price of modding the X1. Cars like the WRX STI and A3 check some of the boxes (performance, luxury, utility, AWD) but not all - even lightly modded.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 02-28-2013 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0