View Single Post
      06-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #87
annoyingmouse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 xdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyingmouse View Post
I made a trip from Corpus Christi to San Antonio Friday afternoon. San Antonio's altitude is about 235 meters, whereas, obviously CC is close to sea level, so 770 feet over more than 100 miles isn't exactly a hard climb. Winds were from the north, at about 15 MPH with gusts no more than 20. My trip computer told me I averaged 26 MPG going to San An, and I reset it before coming home, and it averaged 32 MPG going back to CC. I averaged 80MPH and used the cruise control as much as possible both ways.

To draw any conclusions, I'd need to make the trip again in with a south wind (that will probably happen soon enough) to compare the results. If I get a direct inverse, than we can conclude that the aerodynamics are more significant than the elevation change. I suspect the hills are significant though, as the X1 no more light than it is slick.
I made this trip again, but this time with a more seasonally appropriate south wind. Going north on 37 with a ~20MPH tail wind, I averaged 30MPG according to the trip. Coming home, with a ~15MPH head wind, I averaged 24 MPG according to the trip. I used the Cruise control set to an indicated 79MPH which my GPS speedometer app says is 75.2-75.8MPH.

I guess our engine doesn't like our parachute of a bumper.
Appreciate 0