heisalan
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Interesting.

Crap like that makes me glad my service adviser is a good guy. Did you eventually get it recoded (free of charge)?
Nope, the guys here in Atlanta, Nalley BMW to be exact, are not that friendly, in addition to profesionalism. (customer always wants more, who doesn't?)
They replaced the turbo part for about 2 days' work.

During the period, I was driving a courtesy sDrive28i, with X-line and upgraded tire set. The feeling is totally different as compared to my basic xDrive28i with run-flat tires. Differences:

1)The ride was softer, at least close to bmw 3 sedan feeling.
2)Acceleration was much more fun, which I think was due to rear-drive with more back-pushing feeling. BUT, the acceleration was not noticeably better than my xDrive in fact.
3)Most importantly, the steering wheel was much lighter. I didn't follow up on this forum a lot, so may miss the point. I know for sure that XDrive28i is Hydraulic steering, which provides intuitive steering but much heavier than electronic steering.
4) Suggestion if you finally buy an X1: do not get the paddle shift, this would ruin the steering wheel: it would make the sporty handling part where your two thumbs touch NOT protruding. I'm sorry English is my second lang. In short, selecting the paddle shift will make your steering wheel a normal and dull one like the old days, your thumbs have no place to lessen the pressure. The marketing point on the paddle shift -- as I wanted -- is to boost a little bit of selling price in the future at a small cost ($120). But, don't get fooled by their saying that this is a "sporty wheel", it is not.

In retrospect, I would buy an X1 at the following figurations:
SDrive28i, if not living in snow / rain regions.
Definitely have sun/moon roof!!!!
Definitely have tint!!!!!!! (Formula One Pinacle, about $400 and 3 hours work)
Definitely have all weather foot pad, front row only
No display dashboard option, the display screen is just not safe for Navi and the system is inconvenient compared to Waze app on my iphone.
Choose X line or S line if you have the extra bucks. Interior look is much more important than the exterior look.
Alpine white body is just fine if with X-line or S-line due to silver roof-rack, save the $1450 paint.
For photographers, long drive on this car is fun and fuel efficient, long drive is what this 8-speed tranny is built for.

Last suggestion, take a rest, try Subaru's new SUVs, they're DOHC this year for God's sake!!!!!! Fuji is good at imitating Leica, they're as well good at finding a niche in auto market.

Last edited by heisalan; 06-18-2013 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0