View Single Post
      07-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Picked up our X1 yesterday.....

I have had so many BMWs over the years, I used to buy Audis but then bought a BMW and never looked back, well did go and buy a couple more Audis but realised that although they look nice they are pretty crap dynamically and you soon get bored.

I had E39's, 528i and then a 530i sport saloon and touring, then E46's from 320d to 300d and an M3 SMG, plus had an M3 CSL which I still miss every day, then 535d sport touring, E91 335i sport touring, and my wife has had 120d m-sport, 320d E91 m-sport, and 123d M-Sport. Have missed a fair few out, things like the E30 325i (awesome machie btw) and Mini Cooper, 318ti etc.

Wasn't looking for an X1 at all, last year I got pulled for speeding and I was on 9 points (one more stop and it is a ban) so I sold my M3 and bought a brown e320cdi Avantgarde Mercedes estate, and sold the 123d M-Sport and bought a Toyota Aygo. I bought it the morning after I was pulled over, in a bit of a strop.
Actually been a good car, no raod tax to pay, 65mpg, fun, but too small, so only done 3000 miles in it, and done 44k miles in the Merc over the same 11 months.

So decided to buy another E91 to replace the Aygo and share the miles.

3 different dealers mentioned they had been driving the X1 and loved it, said they preferred it to the 3 series, nearly as dynamic and far more comfy.

I will be honest it did not interest me at all, but my wife loves them and had mentioned she would like one as she missed her 123d badly, so I took it out, and immediately fell for it.

It is certainly more like a 3 series than a 1 series.

I took it out last Monday, and buy Tuesday had done a deal on one, it arrived on Friday (yesterday).

I went black with the X-Line pack an alu rails, I just prefer the X1 in the darker colours personally.

We have done it as a company car, so went manual, 18d sDrive, with the only real option being leather.

Did around 80 miles yesterday and last night and it is a cracker, my first manual car for about 10 years, and I adore it.

However, one slight problem!
My wife is struggling with it, she is only 5'4" and around 26" inside leg, and she is having real problems with the clutch, it is heavy and she is struggling to get it all the way down. She has the seat as far forward as it will go, but she says sitting in traffic and at lights she can feel a real strain on her lower back.

I am seriously hoping this is just a case of getting used to it, if not I will have to swap it for an auto, which is going to cost me big time!

People mentioned the build and interior plastics etc. and I just thought I would live with it, however I think they're great. They are better than in the 1 series and most other brands.

All in all a great car, with one major niggle!
Appreciate 0