View Single Post
      02-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #33
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Marcus View Post
But to reinforce my initial comment, a lot of people dislike the X1 and view it as a bad concept in marketing. It has inept handling, non-existent off-road ability and is the ugliest car we have ever made.

Begs the question.....why?
So you think the X1 is uglier than say the 5GT? I happened to see one of the old 318i hatchbacks yesterday and I think the X1 looks better than that car. I think the X1 looks great from most angles though there are some where the car appears awkward.

Leaving looks aside- looks are always subjective- I will grant the lack of off road ability while noting that here in the US that only 15% of SUVs sold are ever taken off road. Along with the incoming 320 the base X1 is the cheapest BMW available in the US market. As such it makes tremendous sense here as an entry level BMW to tempt people looking at other luxury and near luxury crossovers. The only reason I'm driving a BMW today is the X1. The X3 is more than I want to pay and the 3 Touring was not available when I bought mine plus it is also in another price bracket and thus not viable for me.

For the type of vehicle it is I find the handling excellent. It certainly handles better than any of the cars I compared it to like the Jetta SportWagon and the Acura TSX Sportwagon, to say nothing of the $30K class of SUVs. The versions that retain the hydrologic steering seem to be highly praised from their steering feel and overall handling ability. I realize you are in a different market so perhaps the options there are different than in the US.

I looked very hard and at the end of the day there was no other vehicle on the US market that offered the cargo capacity, handling, quiet cabin, and ability to go 0-60 in under 7 seconds while still coming in under $40K.
Appreciate 0