05-19-2023, 08:29 AM   #18
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean111 View Post
I'm very interested to see how this works out! I know this chassis is very similar to the 335, just need to do some more reading as far as parts interchange and commonality.
Yes, extremely similar! I've spent a ton of time on realoem cross referencing - the e84 subframe p/n doesn't cross-reference to e9x, however the engine mounts, engine mount brackets, subframe support plate, subframe heat shield, front suspension components, oil pan, front drive shaft & differential, frame rails, wheel housings, downpipe, turbo, water pump/thermostat, engine & turbo coolant hoses/pipes, turbo oil lines, ac components, turbo inlet, air duct/intake components, radiator & radiator hoses, expansion tank, ac components, all cross-reference to e9x. The only apparent differences are the front axles and wheel carriers are e84-specific and do not cross-reference to e9x. As far as axles go, ours have a different interlock design to mate with the wheel hub - I read somewhere they updated it to improve manufacturability on the assembly line. Also, the wheel carriers are different - I've read because that's how they gave e84 greater ground clearance than e90.

As mentioned the subframe is a different P/N, but they look identical so I'm not sure what's different, perhaps the suspension mounts are lower to support our higher ground clearance?

Here's some subframe pics I dug up:
Attached Images

Last edited by wheela; 05-19-2023 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0