View Single Post
      03-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #15
nockenpaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
Can you explain further. I thought judder (by definition) was caused by an issue with the friction between the flywheel and the clutch friction plate. "Gunk" on the surface(s), slighly warped/uneven surface(s), pressure plate springs that are too week or defective, or defective anti-chatter springs could cause judder. I don't see how crank vibrations could cause judder. Judder is not vibrations. Can you give more information so I can understand?

My Subaru had really bad judder when new. They replaced the clutch twice under warranty but it still wasn't right. Finally, Subaru redesigned the pressure plate, installed a 3rd one (under warranty as well) and it's been fine.

Blaming it on bad driving habits is nonsense, and slipping the clutch to lessen it, is certainly not a longterm solution.
I'm not an expert on this, but I heard that judder can be caused by many factors. Regarding the N47 engine, the clutch normally is not the main cause of the problem. After replacing the clutch, the problem usually is absent for a few thousand kms, but after a while the judder reappears.

I think that the clutch surface gets more and more waved over time, because of some kind of oscillations which are the real cause of the problem.

Perhaps this document helps: http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi...loquium_en.pdf (page 23 ff.)
Appreciate 0