View Single Post
      01-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #22
kolomee
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
The M5 I believe was introduced in US only in manual format because of demand. Apparently the transmission was worse than the SMG - slower too (same for Ferrari California).

I applaud those who love manuals, but sometimes an auto makes sense. Currently in the UK and indeed South Africa the new X3 in 2.0d guise is not available in manual. But personally, I think this only makes sense in such a large car - imagine town parking in manual - it can't be fun.

I'm just surprised they offer manual 5s anywhere, not least in Canada esp. the bigger engined ones like the 550i. And I still think gadgets like iDrive combined with a manual requires much larger levels of concentration on the road - it's not safe to me.

But still - will not begrudge any manual lovers here! Oh and 911 lovers the next one will have a 7 speed manual. A first I believe. (When both hands will ever be on the steering though I don't know).
Is there really much of a difference between parking a car with a manual vs an automatic? Sure, the autobox might be easier to just hop in and drive if it's a car you're not familiar with, but after a bit of familiarization with the clutch, parking any car should be the same.

Same issue with the iDrive and MT. Not sure if anyone should really be fiddling around with the idrive while driving, stick shift or not. By the time you might deem yourself sufficiently familiar with iDrive to attempt it without losing concentration on the road, you would probably be proficient enough with the shifter to not think too much about it either.
Appreciate 0