View Single Post
      09-28-2017, 08:19 AM   #17
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Actually, it's all E90 xdrive underneath. So it was certainly "designed" to perform "best" at a much lower height. Minus the hatch configuration, they literally just put longer springs on a 3-series unibody.
But you can't just swap in lowering springs (without rubbing or other interference) right? Also, I would assume that the shocks are different, in order to operate at the different height.

Quote:
While I don't find that lowering a car a couple inches is "changing too much", when the N55 X1 came out, what was the "right car" to buy instead of lowering/cleaning up the handling of the X1?

A smaller FWD GTI or Focus ST? A more expensive, slower 328 wagon?

I will agree that cars like the Golf R (which came years later) have made it a little harder to justify modifying an X1 (unless you really need that little bit more space the X1 offers).
When shopping for cars at the start of 2017, I still had this sort of dilemma. There aren't many hatchbacks to begin with, and fewer fun ones.

I guess Golf R was a possibility in theory, but at $45K and no dealing, that is kind of a non-starter, not to mention overkill. However, the GTI seemed like a great idea. Audi's version of it is now an electric, and thus really expensive. I like the GLA, but not quite as sporting.

Picked up this used X1 that I wasn't really looking for. I guess I assumed that all of the X models were pure SUVs. I'm like... hatchback.. BMW. Why didn't I know about this?
Appreciate 0