View Single Post
      09-27-2017, 10:01 PM   #15
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtpisgah View Post
I wanted a 3 series wagon but could not find one since they were between model years. My Saab was dying so I had to buy something and the X1 won out. I will leave it at the stock height because that is how it is designed to perform best. If you change too much on a car, you bought the wrong car. Period.
Actually, it's all E90 xdrive underneath. So it was certainly "designed" to perform "best" at a much lower height. Minus the hatch configuration, they literally just put longer springs on a 3-series unibody.

While I don't find that lowering a car a couple inches is "changing too much", when the N55 X1 came out, what was the "right car" to buy instead of lowering/cleaning up the handling of the X1?

A smaller FWD GTI or Focus ST? A more expensive, slower 328 wagon?

Our lightly modified (DP, tune, suspension) X1 gets around a 1.5 mile road course faster than my M3 did (albeit not as fun)...all while being much more practical day to day. It's a great little car made even better from a performance standpoint by a very little bit of work.

Can't find much fault in that.

I will agree that cars like the Golf R (which came years later) have made it a little harder to justify modifying an X1 (unless you really need that little bit more space the X1 offers).
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 1