View Single Post
      04-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #11
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyB View Post
Interesting, read numerous reviews of run-flats and impression are that they are less safe because of much higher frequency to get a puncture compared to non-RFTs. All the reviews did not recommend run-flats implying that they are less safe because of the increased likelihood of punctures, excessive wearing, and lower mpg because of the extra road friction.
I have driven about 50k miles on RFTs, never had a puncture or tire failure. I had one incident when the valve stem leaked and a tire lost pressure completely. I drove 70 miles on that tire to get home and it was 2 am.

The dealer inspected the tire and decided that it is structurally sound. I drove another 12k miles on that tire (I know they should have changed it).

Also, my mileage dropped when I switched from RFT to non RFT. This is counter intuitive, although RFTs are heavier, they maintain their round shape better, therefore they have lower rolling resistance.

Again these are based on my personal experience, I would never change to non RFTs on a BMW, unless the suspension is tuned for non-RFT tires.
Appreciate 0