View Single Post
      04-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #10
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

I do not agree with most people on this topic.

I replaced RFT tires on my BMW 328i with regular all season tires. The car driving dynamics changed a lot. It was like a train on rails with RFTs. With non RFT it was more like a Toyota.

Now, I believe there are a bunch of people who actually like the way a Toyota drives (it is one of the most popular cars, anyway), but THINK they like how a BMW drives. These people will definitely like a switch to non-RFTs.

Basically if you want BMW looks with Toyota driving dynamics replace RFTs with regular tires by all means. Otherwise stick with RFTs. You can go to a smaller size if you have bad roads or want more compliance. An X1 on 17 inch OEM wheels is pretty compliant for a BMW. If you still cannot tolerate it then you are in the Toyota category.

With non-RFTs you loose a lot of steering precision. The car will roll in corners and dive under braking. Just think about it, what gives you the added comfort and cushioning? The tires allow more deflection. The same deflection will cause handling to deteriorate. The loss in steering feel was horrible in my opinion.
Appreciate 0