View Single Post
      04-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
MickeyB
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2015 Sports Model

Advice on changing run-flats on 2015

I have an 2015 X1 M Sport Trim and very much dislike the Pirelli Run-flats Cinturato P7 all season 225/45 R18 tires that are stock on both the front and rear tires. I am very tolerant of a stiff ride but even for me these tires are totally unreasonable as they make the car so uncomfortable on even the slightest of a bump on the road. California highways have a high frequency of these types of road level imperfections so there is no joy in driving as we would expect from a BMW.
I have done a considerable amount of research and even contacted BMW USA, International Headquarters, and the service unit of the dealer where I purchased. Frankly, my impression is that I know more about the technical situation and possible remedy than they do. NO HELP AT ALL other than that "BMW does not recommend anything other than run-flats", and that you may jeopardize your car warranty by replacing (car has 5800 miles on it). Believe that BMW will lose allot of customers in the future with these unacceptable run-flats.
These Pirelli run-flats have no "forgiveness" nor shock absorbing; very stiff and hard as a rock at recommended pressures.
My research points toward replacing with the non run-flat version of the same Pirelli Cinturato tire 225/45 R18 with either the 91V or 95V rating; the specifications are nearly exact between the run-flat and non run-flat version ties. The non run-flat tire is exceptionally highly rated in all relevant categories ( fromTire Rack and similar type website). I am thinking of the 95V version as I have the X1 M Sport suspension that is stiffer than the standard. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0